Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is from BBC Good Food Magazine It's my apple pie recipe of choice. It's my apple pie recipe of choice. Keeps my husband happy too. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- 1 kg bramley apple
- 140 g golden caster sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 225 g butter, at room temperature
- 50 g golden caster sugar, plus extra
- golden caster sugar, to dust
- 2 eggs
- 350 g plain flour
- Line a large baking sheet with a layer of paper towels. Quarter, core, peel and slice apples quite thin (about 5 mm thick) and lay onto paper towels. Set another layer of paper towels on top, to absorb any liquid. Set aside.
- For pastry, beat 225 g butter and 50g sugar in a large bowl until just mixed. Add one whole egg, and one yolk (reserve white for later). Beat together for 1 minute. Work in flour with a wooden spoon, 1/3 at a time until it starts to clump together, then mix in the rest with your hands. Form into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill dough 45 minutes.
- Mix 140g sugar, cinnamon, and flour in a large bowl.
- Once pastry has chilled, heat oven to 170 degrees Celsius Lightly beat egg white with a fork. Cut off one third of the pastry and keep it wrapped while you roll out the rest.
- Line a 20-22 cm pie dish with pastry, leaving a slight overhang. Roll remaining third to a circle about 28cm (to cover, with a couple of cm.s to spare).
- Pat apples dry with kitchen paper. Tip apples into bowl with cinnamon-sugar mixture and toss through. Pile high into pastry-lined pie dish.
- Brush a little water around the pastry rim and lay pastry lid over the apples, pressing edges together to seal. Trim edges with a sharp knife and make 5 small slashes on top of lid to allow steam to escape.
- Brush pie with egg white and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 40-45 minutes until golden.
- Sprinkle with more sugar and serve warm with ice cream or cream.