Recipe by GrandmaIsCooking
I ate some of these cookies last Christmas. The recipe is adapted from Taste of Home. Preparation time does not include refrigeration time or cooling time.
- 1 cup butter (cold)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon rind, grated
- 10 tablespoons sugar (divided, 5 portions 2 T each)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut butter into flour until it crumbles, then stir in sour cream and lemon peel and blend well.
- Place mixture on a piece of wax paper and shape into a square 4 ½ inches wide by 4 ½ inches long (maybe 2 inches thick).
- Wrap in plastic wrap and put in refrigerator for at least two hours.
- Cut cold dough lengthwise and then crossways–you will have four squares each 2 1/4 inches square.
- Wrap three squares in plastic wrap and put back in refrigerator.
- Sprinkle a piece of wax paper with two tablespoons of sugar, then place the remaining square of dough on it and cover with another piece of wax paper, then roll out dough into a 12 inch by 5 inch rectangle, turning often to coat with sugar.
- Make a small mark in center of 12 inch long side, and then roll up from each short end to the center mark, so that you have two rolls meeting in the center like a scroll.
- Repeat the last two steps with the other 3 portions of dough, wrapping each well with plastic wrap, and put back in the refrigerator for another hour.
- Unwrap dough portions one and a time and slice into ½ inch slices, dipping each side in the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake two inches apart on foil lined cookie sheets at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 14 minutes, then very carefully turn cookies over and bake 5 minutes longer, and remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire racks.