Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This pie has been in my family for over 100 years. It was my great,great-great Grandmother's reciepe. This pie was made for weddings as a wedding cake, and they continue to still make for weddings in my family. I had my great grandmother make this for my wedding and it went over GREAT!!!!
- 4 egg whites
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon rind
- First step: Add cream of tatar to egg whites and beat til stiff, slowly add sugar.
- Spread into a pie pan.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour& 15 minute.
- Pie filling: Beat egg yolks until thick& have lemon color, add lemon juice, rinds& sugar.
- Cook over low heat stirring constately.
- Till thick, let cool.
- Beat 1 cup whipping cream til siff and spread half into pie shell then pour cooled filling on top of whip cream then the rest of whipping cream.
- Makes 1 pie.
This was very hard to rate. I was looking forward to it because I like meringue and lemon, and that part was good, but I did have some issues. First - I should have thought "been in family for 100 years" means use medium eggs, not large. Had WAY too much 'crust' for a pie tin, so made it in a casserole pan. I was not near the kitchen, and when the timer went off, I saw it was a little too done, might have been because of my using the bigger pan, but I would definitely check at about 50 minutes. The lemon filling was fantastic, but got too thick to pour once cooled. I would pour it as soon as it was done cooking. VERY tasty though. I wish I could have tried a piece made by someone who knew what the outcome should be. Thanks Melody. Made for Help A Naked Recipe.