Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- beat egg whites and cream of tartar until fluffy.
- Add the sugar and beat until the mixture is stiff.
- Spread in a pie pan, pile the edges up high.
- Bake at 275 degrees for 20 mins, then at 300 degrees for 40 mins.
- beat egg yolks until light yellow.
- Add sugar and lemon juice.
- Cook slowly in double boiler until thick.
- Spread the custard over the bottom of the cool meringue pie shell.
- (Don’t be alarmed at the small amount of filling).
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, top with whipped cream and grated lemon rind.