Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From the cookbook, Seasoned with Sun. Preparation time does not include chilling time.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar (superfine)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (30 ounce) can mangoes, drained well
- 2 large limes, juice of or 4 small limes, juice of
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 drops almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 275.
- Beat egg whites until thick but not stiff.
- Gradually add sugar.
- Beat vinegar into mixture.
- Add vanilla.
- Pour into well greased 9" pie plate.
- Bake 1 hour.
- Puree drained mangoes in blender.
- Mix together lime juice, condensed milk, almond extract and mangoes.
- In small bowl, whip cream and blend into mango mixture.
- Chill well.
- At serving time, spoon into meringue shell and cut into wedges.