Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
This is such a nice change from the usual summer pasta with basil deal... the saffron gives this dish great flavor and a bright color; the fennel is refreshing and different and the whole dish is tied together with tomatoes and garlic. A fantastic, quick vegetarian main dish.
- 4 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise,seeds removed,and sliced into 1/4 inch crescents
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- salt and black pepper
- 1 lb angel hair pasta (capellini)
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, saute garlic in olive oil for 2 minutes; add saffron and fennel seeds and saute for 1 minute more.
- Add zucchini slices and stir to coat thoroughly; cook on medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stir together and cook for another 5 minutes, breaking up the tomatoes slightly.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In the meantime, cook angel hair according to package directions: it should only take about 2 minutes.
- I like to add a little saffron to the pasta water for color and a little extra flavor, but just a pinch.
- Drain pasta and add to zucchini mixture in the skillet; stir together briefly and serve with a few snips of oregano and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.