Recipe by Hey Jude
I found this in the Chicago Tribune...haven't had a chance to try it yet but it looks really good.
- 1 lb angel hair pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots or 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 eggplant, cubed (about 1 lb.)
- 1 yellow squash, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted, see note
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves or 1 tablespoon dried basil, see note
- 1⁄2 cup grated romano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook shallots and garlic until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium; add eggplant, squash, 1/2 tsp of the salt, black pepper and red pepper; cook, stirring, until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in wine; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Stir in cream; cook 3 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 1 tsp salt, almonds and basil; cook 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Drain pasta; place in serving bowl.
- Toss with vegetable mixture.
- Adjust seasoning if desired.
- Pass cheese at the table.
- Note: Toast almonds in a small dry skillet over medium-high heat until they become lightly brown and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- If using dried herbs, add them with the vegetables in Step 1.