Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Easy, fast cake mix base topped with strawberries in a balsamic vinegar & strawberry preserves sauce.
- 1 (16 ounce) package angel food cake mix
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (from 1 large orange)
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons powdered sugar (optional)
- 1 (16 ounce) container fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sugar-free strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- thawed frozen whipped topping (optional)
- orange slice, to garnish
- orange zest, to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Line a 9-inch X 13-inch cake pan with parchment paper, leaving some overhang.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, flour, water and zest. Beat at low speed of electric mixer until moistened. Increase speed to medium and beat for 1 minute.
- Spread batter into prepared pan; sprinkle almonds evenly over top.
- Bake for 30-33 minutes or until top springs back when touched.
- While cake is baking, prepare the filling by combining strawberries, preserves and vinegar. Mix gently and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and cool on rack for 10 minutes.
- Using paper edges as handles, carefully lift from pan and cool completely on rack.
- Carefully invert cake onto another piece of parchment paper & peel off bottom paper. Flip it back over & discard top paper. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into 2 inch squares.
- To serve, place 1 cake piece on a dessert plate, top with 1/4 cup filling & top with another cake sqaure. Garnish with whipped topping, orange slices and orange zest if desired.