Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A classic, crunchy candy.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, corn syrup and vinegar. Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Heat, without stirring, to 300 to 310 degrees F or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms hard, brittle threads.
- Remove from heat and stir in baking soda.
- Pour into prepared pan; do not spread. Mixture will not fill pan.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Melt morsels and shortening in medium, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute; stir. Microwave an additional 10 to 15 seconds, stirring until smooth.
- Break cooled candy into bite sized pieces and dip into melted chocolate. Let set on waxed paper. Store tightly covered.
This is sooooooooogood. We are from Wi .And they sell this just before Christmas. other wise you can't find it. We now live in Ar.And we have to make our own.This is so good.Marge
Awesome! I love angel food candy and it was really hard to find a recipe for it, but this one is a winner. the only change I made was to use Almond Bark instead of the chocolate it's much easier to work with.
Boy, did this bring back wonderful memories. I haven't found this in stores for years and so decided to find a recipe. My mother always bought this for us when we were kids-she'd have to hide it from us! It was easy to prepare and turned out great! My brother(who I consider a master chef) declared it better than the original!