Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Recipe Brought to you by Food Fit
For the Angel Cake
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups superfine sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups egg whites, at room temperature (about 10 large egg whites)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Summer Fruit Salad
- 1 cup mixed berry
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and cubed
- 1 nectarine, pitted and sliced
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
For the Finest Raspberry Dessert Sauce
- 3⁄4 cup fresh raspberry (or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 -4 tablespoons sugar
- For the Angel Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Sift the flour twice with 1/2 cup of the sugar.
- With an electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form when the mixer is removed from the batter.
- Add half of the remaining sugar and beat for 1 minute. Add the remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating after each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Fold the flour and sugar mixture into the egg whites, 1/4 cup at a time, just until incorporated.
- Put the batter in an ungreased 10" tube pan and bake until the cake is light golden brown and springy to the touch, about 1 hour. Invert the pan and let the cake cool completely before removing from the pan.
- For the Summer Fruit Salad:
- Mix fruit in a bowl.
- Sprinkle with the orange juice.
- For the Finest Raspberry Dessert Sauce:
- Puree the berries in a blender with the lemon juice. Blend in the sugar by the tablespoonful, tasting after each addition, until the desired degree of sweetness is reached.
- Strain through a fine strainer, pressing with a rubber spatula to release the juices.
- Put it all together:
- Place a slice of angel cake on each plate. (Store the leftover cake in an airtight container or freeze for longer storage.)
- With a slotted spoon, place a portion of the Summer Fruit Salad on a corner of the cake slice and let it spill over the side.
- Drizzle the raspberry sauce around the fruit salad.