1/2 Photos of Angel Food Cake With Lemon Meringue Icing
1 hr 10 mins
Yummy! A very low-fat, high-flavor alternative to unhealthy desserts. This is delicious! The meringue adds a special touch to a regular homemade angel food cake (which is delicious, too!).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the cake
- 236.59 ml sifted cake flour
- 354.88 ml superfine sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 14.79 ml finely chopped lemon zest
- 295.73 ml egg whites, at room temperature (about 10 large egg whites)
- 14.79 ml water
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 4.92 ml cream of tartar
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 0.59 ml almond extract
For the icing
- 1Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- 2Sift the flour, 3/4 cup of the sugar, salt and lemon zest together 3 times.
- 3Beat the egg whites, water, lemon juice, cream of tartar and extracts together with an electric mixer on low speed until frothy. Increase to medium speed and beat until the mixture is 4 times its original volume, about 2 to 3 more minutes.
- 4Continue beating and add the remaining sugar, gradually over 3 minutes.
- 5Sift the flour mixture into the egg white mixture, 1/4 cup at a time with a spatula, working the batter as little as possible.
- 6Pour the batter into an ungreased 10" tube pan. Run a knife around the center of the batter and tap the pan on the counter to remove any air pockets in the batter. Bake 45 to 50 minutes, until the cake is light golden brown and well risen.
- 7Immediately invert the pan on the neck of a bottle until the cake is completely cool. Slide a knife around the pan and remove the cake. (This can be done in advance and stored in an airtight container for 1-2 days.).
- 8For the icing:.
- 9In a bowl, combine the egg whites, sugar, water, lemon juice, corn syrup and cream of tartar. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is warm to the touch.
- 10Remove from heat and beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until medium peaks form and the meringue is cool. Add the vanilla extract and lemon zest and mix on high speed until stiffer peaks form.
- 11Place the cake on a serving platter and spread the icing over the top and sides of the cake. (Do not ice the cake more than 5 hours ahead or the frosting will lose volume and become grainy.).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Angel Food Cake With Lemon Meringue Icing
Serving Size: 1 (105 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 259.4
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 149.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 50.9 g
- Protein 4.2 g