Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Gigi's favorite cake. Very very simple. Delicious alone or dressed up with whipped cream and fresh fruit.
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 12 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- Sift flour and 3/4 cup sugar together 3 or 4 times; set aside.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar, sal, and vanilla until stiff (but not dry) peaks are formed.
- Lightly fold in remaining sugar 2 tablespoons at a time.
- Sift about 4 tablespoons of the flour mixture at a time over the meringue. Gently blend after each addition.
- Carefully slide batter into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Cut through the batter with a knife to break large air bubbles.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until cake tests done. Immediately invert pan and cool cake completely. Remove cake from pan very gently.