1/2 Photos of Angel Food Cake (Gluten-Free)
1 hr 5 mins
Andrew Mollmann's Note:
My sister decided that she wanted Angel Food cake and my mother decided she wanted some Creme Brulee; one uses egg whites and the other uses yolks so I went searching for a recipe. I saw the other GF angel food recipes on Recipezaar but was not satisfied with the list of ingredients; they use a flour mix that is all starch and several of the reviews mention that it deflates from the bottom up. I found this recipe by searching on Google and made it instead. I was a little over zealous when mixing in the flour so my whites lost a little volume, but it did not affect the taste. The end result was a light and fluffy cake. It was the first time I had had angel food cake since going gluten-free and I was not disappointed. I made a strawberry trifle by breaking the cake into little chunks and layering them with lite whipped cream and strawberries. Edit: I have made this recipe 3 times now. To keep the whipped white mixture from deflating, I highly recommend not folding in the flour mixture by hand. The first 2 cakes I made, I folded it in by hand. The 3rd time I stirred it in on the slowest possible setting on my Kitchen Aid which resulted in a cake that was about 2-3" higher. All 3 of them tasted great though.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Separate egg whites into stainless steel bowl and let them come to room temperature.
- 2In a separate medium bowl, sift flours, salt, xanthan gum, and 3/4 cup of sugar.
- 3Beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar. Beat until the egg whites form soft peaks. Beat in the other reserved 3/4 cup of sugar about 3 Tablespoons at a time. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- 4Slowly fold in flour mixture about 1/4 cup at a time. Once the flour mixture is combined, fold in vanilla.
- 5Slowly pour the batter into a tube pan and spread evenly. Run a knife through the cake to eliminate any large air bubbles.
- 6Bake for 50-55 minutes until top is golden and sides begin to pull away.
- 7Cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife along the outer edge of the pan and pull out the insert to the tube pan. Run a knife along the bottom of the insert and invert onto a cake plate.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Angel Food Cake (Gluten-Free)
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 225.8
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 155.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 38.0 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: