1/14 Photos of Angel Food Cake--Deluxe
Every year for my birthday, my Gran would ask me "What kind of cake would you like me to bake you?", even though she knew what the answer would be: "ANGEL FOOD CAKE, PLEASE!!!!" You'll never buy angel food cake again, once you use this recipe. Rather than granular sugar for the entire recipe, confectioner's sugar is used. The cornstarch in the powdered sugar stabilizes the whites, making for a much lighter and dreamy angel food cake. Light as a feather, creamy-tasting, and NOT rubbery like store-bought versions, this is my "go-to" cake recipe for ALL special occasions. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup cake flour (I use Softsilk or SwansDown brands)
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar (made from cane sugar)
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites (10-12 egg whites, room temperature)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2-1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1.Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Stir together cake flour and confectioner's sugar; set aside.
- 3In a large mixer bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt until foamy.
- 4Add the granular sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating at high speed until the meringue holds stiff peaks. (This takes up to 10 minutes.).
- 5Gently fold in the extracts by hand.
- 6Sprinkle the flour-confectioner's sugar mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, over the meringue, folding it in gently just until flour-sugar mixture disappears. DO NOT OVER-MIX OR CAKE WILL BECOME TOUGH!
- 7Push batter into ungreased tube pan, turning it several times to fill pan evenly. Gently cut through the batter with a knife to remove air bubbles.
- 8Bake 30-35 minutes or until the top springs back when touched lightly with finger.
- 9Remove from oven and immediately invert the tube over weighted glass bottle; let hang upside down until cake is completely cool (about 2 hours.).
- 10To remove cooled cake from tube pan, loosen first by moving table knife up and down against side of pan. Next, turn the pan over and hit one side; the cake will slip out onto the platter.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Angel Food Cake--Deluxe
Serving Size: 1 (895 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 182.9
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 99.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 31.6 g
- Protein 4.2 g