Recipe by -Patrish
This is an old recipe my mom gave me that I've never tried. She said friends of her family used to make this dessert during the holidays when she was young. She said it was to die for and that everyone used to ooh and ah over it. I've only been able to estimate the time it takes to make. Cook time is refrigeration time.
- 1 1⁄2 dozen ladyfingers
- 1 dozen macaroons
- sherry wine (don't use cooking wine)
- 2 bittersweet chocolate squares
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 pint whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak lady fingers and macaroons in sherry wine.
- In the top of a double boiler heat sugar, water and chocolate.
- Stir until sugar is completely disolved.
- Add gradually the well-beaten egg yolks. Stir until smooth. Cool.
- Add the vanilla.
- Cream butter with confectioners sugar and add to the chocolate mixture.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Butter an angel food pan.
- Line with lady fingers and place macaroons on bottom.
- Pour mixture in pan and cover with wax paper.
- Set in refrigerator overnight.
- Cover top with whipped cream.
- Serves 16.