Recipe by manushag
The original recipe came from my Aunt Margaret in Burbank. I have substituted an 8 oz container of lite Cool Whip, which makes this cake a relatively low calorie treat and a whole lot easier. Cooking time is actually time that fruit stands before folding into whipped topping. If you use a store bought angel cake, there is no baking involved!
- 8 ounces crushed pineapple
- 8 ounces maraschino cherries
- 4 ounces mini marshmallows
- 1 cup blanched slivered almond
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon knox unflavored gelatin or 1 (1 ounce) packet unflavored gelatin
- 1 angel food cake
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut drained cherries in fours and slice marshmallows in half.
- Drain pineapple and add to marshmallows, cherries and nuts.
- Allow to sit for 1- 2 hours.
- Save out a few cherry halves to decorate top.
- Dissolve Knox gelatin in 1/2 cup cold milk. Let sit for a few minutes and then warm in microwave to dissolve. Stir well and add to fruit mixture and allow to set.
- Whip heavy cream and fold into fruit.
- Cut angel food cake into 3 layers and fill.
- You should have enough to top with filling and decorate with extra cherry halves and almonds.
- Chill until serving time.
- (Can be made a day ahead and kept in refrigerator).