Recipe by whatsachef?
These cookies are excellent. My mother made these every year for Christmas and Easter!
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat the butter, sugars, shortening, egg and vanilla until fluffy.
- Add dry ingredients (flour, tarter, soda).
- Blend in the nuts.
- Form dough into small balls.
- Dip in water and then in sugar. (You will need to get more sugar for this step, of course).
- Place on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.