Prep 1 hr
Cook 8 mins
Another holiday favorite...my mother made these while we were kids. I use them on my holiday cookie plates.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Beat shortening and 1 1/2 cups sugar at medium speed until fluffy.
- Add eggs and extracts; beat until blended.
- Combine dry ingredients,gradually add to creamed mixture, beating well.
- Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- Roll balls in 1/4 cup of sugar.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 8-9 minutes, until barely golden.
- Let cool 2 minutes on sheets.
- Transfer to wire racks to completely cool.
I baked these for my cookie platters and my husband and son have devoured them. These will be good any time not just for the holidays! Thank you for the wonderful recipe. Very easy to make.
This is a good cookie. I found it too sweet rolled in colored sugar, though my kids loved the process. I'm going to make these again but only dip the tops of the balls in colored sugar. Also, I found it was firm enough to roll without refrigeration. Tasty!
These are wonderful cookies! Everyone loved them. Very soft and delicate, with the perfect amount of sweetness. No wonder they're called Angel Cookies - they're so heavenly! Thanks!