Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a wonderful slow cooker recipe. I understand it is call Angel Chicken because of it's heavenly mushroom sauce. The chicken is fork tender. Mmmm. Comfort food!! My family loves this recipe... and so do I, because it is an easy weeknight meal for a mom that works outside the home.
- 2 (8 ounce) packages fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1-1 1/2 lbs)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 (2/3 ounce) packageitalian dry salad dressing mix
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 0.5 (8 ounce) containercream cheese spread with chives and onions
- hot cooked rice
- Put mushrooms in a 4 quart slow cooker; top with chicken breast. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan; stir in the italian dressing mix, golden mushroom soup, chicken broth and cream cheese until melted.
- Pour this over the mushrooms and chicken.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 4 1/2 hours, or on low heat for 8 hours.
- If the sauce is a little too thin, I mix about a tbs. or two of cornstarch in a 1/4 cup of water until it dissolves. Then I add this to the crockpot and let the sauce simmer for a few minutes, until the sauce is thickened a bit.
- Serve chicken and sauce over cooked rice or pasta.
This was simply fantastic. You can't get much better for so little effort IMO. I used one pkg of white button mushrooms, and one of crimini. I let it cook for about 7 hours on low and by the end my chicken was so tender I could cut through it like butter! We decided to do rotini with ours since we're more pasta than rice people. Since the sauce was pretty thin what I did was take it out of the crockpot at the end and heat it on the stove adding some cornstarch to thicken it just a bit and then put that along with the shredded up chicken and pasta back in and mixed it all together. Then I added some minced parsley as a garnish which added a nice layer of flavor as well. My house smelled heavenly all day long!
Made this for supper the other night, but I used leg quarters instead... don't care for breast meat. I tasted the sauce before I put it on the chicken & it was wonderful, but after it cooked, it lost a bit of flavor. In all fairness, I've never been crazy about meat cooked in a slow cooker...would much rather slow cook in the oven. IMO, slow cookers are best for casseroles. Will definately try this again, but in the oven...325° for 2 hours should do the trick. Will also brown the chicken first...I like the crispier skin. Since I'm the only one that likes mushrooms, I'll use half as much & put them on top of the chicken, instead of the bottom of the pan. THANKS for sharing & for the idea!!!