Recipe by Nana Lee
This elegant dessert pie is a wonderful combination of flavors and textures. From Linda Larsen,Your Guide to Busy Cooks.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (or Splenda equiv)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pasteurized egg white (or powdered egg white equivalent)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or Splenda)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Oven - 400ºF.
- Combine flour, nuts and brown sugar.
- Cut in butter until a crumb mixture forms.
- Do not form into ball; place crumbs in a 9" square baking pan, and bake at for 10-12 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden brown.
- Cool the crumbs, reserve 1/4 cup, and then press remainder firmly into a 9" pie pan.
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar, gelatin and salt in medium saucepan.
- Blend in egg yolk and milk and mix well.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and blend in cream cheese, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Beat until fluffy.
- Chill in refrigerator until mixture is thickened, but not set.
- Beat egg white until soft peaks form, then beat in 2 tablespoons sugar and beat until stiff. Beat cream with powdered sugar until thick.
- Fold egg whites and cream into cream cheese mixture.
- Spoon into cooked cookie crust and sprinkle with reserved 1/4 cup crumbs.
- Chill for at least three hours before serving, and store in refrigerator.