Recipe by cakeinmyface
from an old book my mum bought me many moons ago. You could line the tin if you dont have a ring tin. see last instruction. variation: make lemon icing using 1 & 1/2 cups icing sugar to 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice drizle over cold cake and decorate with lemon slices
- 1⁄2 cup cornflour
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 8 egg whites
- 1 cup caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- icing sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven gas mark 4, sift both flours into a bowl.
- whisk egg whites until they form stiff peaks then gradually add the sugar and vanilla , whisk until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- fold in flour mixture gently with large metal spoon, spoon into an ungreased 10in cake tin smotth surface and bake for 40- 45 minutes.
- if using a traditional angel cake tin a ring tin, sprinkle a piece of greaseproof paper with caster sugar, place egg cup in centre, take the tin out of oven, overt cake tin and balance carefully with egg cup in centre, balance cake on egg cup. When cold the cake should drop out of tin and onto the greasproof, trasnfer to plate dust with icing sugar and serve.