Top Review by CoffeyCake
My father in law is on a low sodium diet and I have searched all over for a low sodium cake recipe for his birthday. I love this recipe! It was easy to make and turned out great! It was so nice and fluffy. I made a filling and topping with cool whip, pineapple and instant pudding mix and each serving is still less than 200mg of sodium. I will be using this recipe alot! Thanks!
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg whites (10-12 large)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring egg whites to room temperature.
- Sift powdered sugar and flour together 3 times.
- In a large bowl beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed till soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, about 2 tbs at a time, beating till stiff peaks form.
- Sift about 1/4 of the flour mixture over beaten egg whites; fold in gently.
- Repeat, folding in remaining flour mixture by fourths.
- Pour into an ungreased tube pan (10 inch).
- Bake on the lowest rack in a 350°F oven for 40-45 minutes or till top springs back when lightly touched.
- Immediately invert cake (leave in pan); cool thoroughly.
- loosen sides of cake from pan; remove cake.