1/5 Photos of Angel Biscuits
These biscuits are perfect for breakfast. You can smother them in gravy or slather in butter and jam. You can also freeze the uncooked biscuits and bake later.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons fast rising yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cup cold shortening
- 2 tablespoons milk for brushing on top biscuits
- extra flour, for dusting cutting board and rolling pin
- 1Into a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- 2In a small glass bowl add 1 tablespoons sugar, yeast and 1/4 cup of warm water. Make sure water is very warm but not too hot to touch. Allow yeast to bloom for about 5 minutes.
- 3Work shortening into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. I like to use my hands but you can use a pastry blender or two knives.
- 4Add yeast/water/sugar mixture and 2 cups of buttermilk.
- 5Blend together with a wooden spoon until all wet ingredients are incorporated. The dough will be very sticky.
- 6Place dough onto cutting board dusted with flour and knead lightly about 5 or 6 times by folding dough back onto itself.
- 7Roll out to about 1/2 inch thickness. Using 2 inch round biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- 8Brush tops with milk and bake in 425 degree oven for 13-15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Angel Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (58 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 167.3
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.8 mg
- Sodium 216.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 3.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: