From Vegetarian Times, biscuits made with yeast so that they're light and flavourful. I've edited this recipe a bit to include RecipeBaroness' suggestions. The buttermilk should be warm rather than room temperature and a bit of the sugar should be added to the buttermilk.
- Add yeast and 1 tsp of the sugar to the warmed buttermilk and stir until dissolved.
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in large bowl. Blend butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal (Use fingers, two knives or pastry blender).
- Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, and stir until soft dough forms (You may need to add more buttermilk to make dough hold together).
- Lightly flour work surface and rolling pin. Knead dough 8 or 9 times, or until smooth. Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness, and cut into 3-inch circles.
- Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place biscuits on baking sheet, cover with clean kitchen towel and let rise 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes, or until biscuits are pale brown.
- Time to make doesn't include the 20 minute rising time.