Recipe by JeriBinNC
This is my mom's recipe, and they are wonderful. They also freeze extremely well. I can't remember exactly how many this makes, so I'm guessing at the yield.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 5 cups self-rising flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix yeast and soda into flour. Blend in shortening.
- Dissolve sugar in hot water and mix with buttermilk; heat milk and water mixture to 125 degrees.
- Mix liquid into flour & shortening mixture and knead for 5 minutes. Let rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place on a floured surface and knead lightly. Let rest for 2 minutes, then roll out to about 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with a biscuit cutter and place on baking sheet.
- Let rise again until desired thickness--at least 30 minutes. Spray lightly with cooking spray and bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.