Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
My mother and her sisters are known for their scrumptious desserts! Our family reunions always have one long table reserved just for the "Harville Girls" desserts! This is a hit for hot summer days, baby showers, kids and even the guys LOVE it! So easy to make.
- 1 pint milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 4 egg yolks (save the whites)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 pint whipped cream, save half for topping (Cool Whip)
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup crushed pineapple
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut, save half for topping
- 1 prepared angel food cake, broken into small pieces
- Mix the milk, sugar, salt, egg yolks flour and vanilla.
- Cook custard on medium heat, stirring to avoid scorching.
- In separate container dissolve the gelatin in the warm water.
- Add to custard mixture while custard is still hot.
- Let mixture cool.
- Fold half of the whipped cream (1/2 pint) into cooled custard mixture.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Fold into custard.
- Add the crushed pineapple and 1/4 cup coconut.
- Break a large Angel Food Cake into quarter=sized pieces.
- Line a pan (I use 9x13 Pyrex) with half of the cake piece.
- Pour half the custard mixture over cake pieces.
- Repeat using rest of cake and custard.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours, best if overnight.
- Just before serving, spread remaining 1/2 pint whipped cream on top.
- For special presentations, garnish with sugared flower petals- make sure they are edible- or remove them before serving!
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup coconut flakes.
- Serve in 3-4 inch squares.
- Refrigerate any unused servings- if there are any leftovers!