Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I got this recipe out of the Washington Post many years ago....I'm not sure who Andy is but I've made this many times
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (3 -4 lb) thick cut bone in blade chuck roast
- 24 ounces apricot nectar
- 2 -3 tablespoons vinegar (to taste)
- 2 -3 potatoes, cut into large chunks (unpeeled)
- 3 -4 carrots, cleaned and cut into large chunks
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 -2 teaspoon seasoning salt (to taste) or 1 -2 teaspoon seasoning, blend of your choice (to taste)
- Brown roast on both sides in oil in large skillet set over medium high heat. Add apricot nector to almost cover meat. Stir vinegar into nectar. Add potato and carrot chunks. Cover with onion slices and add seasoning.
- Cover pan and simmer over very low heat 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Check occasionally and adjust heat or add more liquid as needed. Cook until meat is tender enough to fall off bone and vegetables are saturated with juices.
- I usually make this in the oven cooked at 325 degrees covered tightly for about 3 hours or until meat is tender. I'll brown the meat first and then put in a roasting pan and add all other ingredients. It would probably be great for a crockpot although I haven't tried it yet. This recipe is good with any chuck roast.