Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a loose meat sandwich that is greater than the sum of it's parts. I grew up eating these in Mt. Airy ( Mayberry) N.C. Best served with creamy coleslaw and a thick slice of tomato both in the sandwich. It's an NC thing.
- Start by browning the beef in the pan, chopping up so the meat takes on a "sloppy joe" appearance.
- Drain ground meat.
- Pepper meat LIBERALLY ! This is supposed to be redolent in the taste of ground black pepper.
- Whisk together water, salt and flour.
- Add to skillet, and allow to come to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer until mixture has thickened.
- Serve on buns with mayo, your favorite coleslaw and a slice of tomato.