This is a loose meat sandwich that is greater than the sum of it's parts. I grew up eating these in Mt. Airy ( Mayberry) N.C. Best served with creamy coleslaw and a thick slice of tomato both in the sandwich. It's an NC thing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Start by browning the beef in the pan, chopping up so the meat takes on a "sloppy joe" appearance.
- 2Drain ground meat.
- 3Pepper meat LIBERALLY ! This is supposed to be redolent in the taste of ground black pepper.
- 4Whisk together water, salt and flour.
- 5Add to skillet, and allow to come to a boil.
- 6Lower heat and simmer until mixture has thickened.
- 7Serve on buns with mayo, your favorite coleslaw and a slice of tomato.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Andy Griffith Favorite Blue Bird Diner Ground Steak Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 363.6
- Calories from Fat 232
- Total Fat 25.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 104.3 mg
- Sodium 280.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 26.8 g