1/4 Photos of Andrew's Tender Lamb Shanks
3 hrs 15 mins
My husband came up with this recipe and it makes a very tender piece of lamb. It was based on a Gordon Ramsay recipe, but to make Gordon's version you'll want to throw in a carrot and more garlic, leave out the cloves and cook it entirely on the stove top. He also recommends serving it with mashed parsnip but we like traditional potatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lamb shanks, french trimmed
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 -6 cloves
- 300 ml dry white wine
- 1 liter chicken stock
For the gravy
- 1Heat a little olive oil in a large pan.
- 2Season the lamb and brown the shanks all over in the oil, then take out of the pan and set aside.
- 3Add the onion, celery, garlic, bay leaves and cloves and cook gently until browned.
- 4Pour in the wine and continue cooking until it has reduced down to a syrup.
- 5Put the contents of the frying pan into a baking dish along with the shanks and pour over the stock.
- 6Season again to taste.
- 7Cover the baking dish and cook in a low heat in the oven (about 150 C) for 2-1/2 to 3 hours, until the meat is tender.
- 8Take the dish out of the oven.
- 9Transfer the lamb to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- 10Strain the stock into a frying pan or small saucepan and heat until simmering.
- 11Mix the flour and water together until there are no lumps and then add to the stock, allowing to cook until you have a gravy that is thick to your liking.
- 12Place the lamb shanks on a bed of mashed potatoes and pour the gravy over.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Andrew's Tender Lamb Shanks
Serving Size: 1 (1063 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1047.9
- Calories from Fat 419
- Total Fat 46.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 257.3 mg
- Sodium 958.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 86.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: