Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
An Andreas Viestad recipe, one of my favorite chefs! This one is from his television cooking show, and has a deliciously different flavor. If you can't find fresh porcini mushrooms, the recipe does allow for a pound of white (button) mushrooms plus 2 ounces of dried porcinis. And don't skip the delicious garnish!
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 lb porcini mushroom, cleaned, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices (or 1 lb white button mushrooms plus 2 oz. dried funghi porcini)
- 5 black peppercorns
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cinnamon stick
- sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream, whipped to soft peaks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium pot, bring vegetable broth to a boil. Add mushrooms (all fresh or a combo of dried and fresh), peppercorns, bay leaves and the cinnamon stick. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, skimming off any foam that forms on the surface.
- Line a colander or sieve with cheesecloth (I use a coffee filter sometimes) and strain the consomme into another pot, pressing gently on the mushrooms with a spoon to extract as much of the liquid as possible. Discard mushrooms and spices.
- Reheat the consomme and season to taste with salt. Pour into bowls and garnish with a couple of tablespoons of cream per portion, sprinkle with cinnamon and serve.