From Andreas Viestad, a lovely, slightly sweet, onion soup. Prep time includes cooking time because you do have to stir now and then while the onions saute.
- Heat butter over medium heat in a pot wide enough to give the onions room to saute.
- Add onions, oregano and bay leaves and saute for twenty minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the port wine and cook for 2 minutes, allowing alcohol to cook off.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Preheat broiler.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Pour soup into individual ovenproof bowls, placing a slice of bread on top of each bowl.
- Divide the grated Jarlsberg among the bowls.
- Place under the broiler for three to five minutes until cheese has melted and begins to brown -- watch it to make sure cheese does not burn.