1/4 Photos of Andreas Viestad's Norwegian Red Onion Soup With Port and Jarlsbe
Chef Kate's Note:
From Andreas Viestad, a lovely, slightly sweet, onion soup. Prep time includes cooking time because you do have to stir now and then while the onions saute.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat butter over medium heat in a pot wide enough to give the onions room to saute.
- 2Add onions, oregano and bay leaves and saute for twenty minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3Add the port wine and cook for 2 minutes, allowing alcohol to cook off.
- 4Remove bay leaves.
- 5Preheat broiler.
- 6Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- 7Pour soup into individual ovenproof bowls, placing a slice of bread on top of each bowl.
- 8Divide the grated Jarlsberg among the bowls.
- 9Place under the broiler for three to five minutes until cheese has melted and begins to brown -- watch it to make sure cheese does not burn.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Andreas Viestad's Norwegian Red Onion Soup With Port and Jarlsbe
Serving Size: 1 (466 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 442.5
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 60.4 mg
- Sodium 542.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 18.5 g