1 hr 20 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
From a recipe by Andreas Viestad, the effort and all the herbs are worth it. The result is a wonderful sauce that complements but doesn't overwhelm the fresh halibut taste. You can do the rub ahead of time (even the night before). You can also simplify and just use rosemary, parsley and bay leaves. Prep time does not include marinating time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 halibut steaks, about a third of a pound each
For the rub
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup mixed fresh herbs, chopped (thyme, tarragon, mint and or rosemary)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 bay leaves (preferably fresh)
For baking the fish
- 1/2 cup white wine (enough to cover the bottom of the pan)
For the sauce
- 1Rinse fish in cold water; pat dry.
- 2Rub steaks on both sides with sea salt.
- 3Combine parsely, mixed herbs, bay leaves and garlic and rub onto both sides of the fish.
- 4Place fish in a deep baking dish, cover and refrigerate for at least thirty minutes or up to twenty four hours.
- 5Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 6Pour wine over the fish and cover baking dish with foil.
- 7Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until fish is cooked through and the meat comes easily away from the bone.
- 8Transfer fish steaks to a platter and keep warm.
- 9Pour pan juices into a small saucepan and reduce over medium heat to about one quarter cup of liquid.
- 10Meanwhile, in another saucepan, heat one tablespoon of butter until foamy.
- 11Add rosemary, thyme and bay leaf and saute gently for about two minutes.
- 12Add remaining butter.
- 13When butter is melted, add parsley and lemon zest and cook over medium to low heat for about three to four minutes.
- 14Do not allow sauce to boil.
- 15Finally, add the lemon juice, the reduced pan juices and salt and pepper to taste.
- 16Strain sauce and discard herbs.
- 17Brush the herbs off the fish steaks and plate, pouring a little of the butter sauce over the each portion of fish.
- 18Serve the remaining sauce on the side.
Browse Our Top Halibut Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Halibut Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Andreas Viestad's Norwegian Baked Halibut With Herbs and Rosemar
Serving Size: 1 (494 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 238.9
- Calories from Fat 208
- Total Fat 23.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 1176.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 0.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mixed fresh herbs