Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another beautiful dish from "Kitchen of Light" by Andreas Viestad... this one's for Lennie! It's a wonderful potato salad with a light vinaigrette and lots of herbs. I personally have to have mint in this dish; but another herb may be one of your favorites (and the actual measurement as written is "a large handful" of chopped herbs; I'm estimating that it's about 2/3; use more or less as you wish). And, I usually omit capers in any dish; I just don't like the little things!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs tiny new potatoes
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2⁄3 lb green beans
- 2⁄3 cup chopped herbs, like mint, thyme, parsley and basil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, grated
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- fresh ground pepper
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan with 1 tablespoons salt and enough water to cover generously. Bring to a boil and cook about 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender but still firm in the center. Drain potatoes, allow to cool a bit, then cut them in half and place in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook green beans in lightly salted boiling water for 5 minutes, until just tender. Drain, add beans to the warm potatoes, then add herbs, garlic, capers, and lemon zest. Combine oil and lemon juice and pour over the potato-bean mixture; toss to mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste. Let stand for a few hours at room temperature so that the herbs will have time to flavor the vegetables. Garnish with edible flowers if you like.