Prep 336 hrs
Cook 0 mins
It’s often difficult to find aquavit here in the liquor stores of the United States. So if you have a hankering for that potent liquor, here’s a substitute for you. :) You can experiment with all sorts of flavors, not just caraway. Recipe adapted from "Kitchen of Light: New Scandinavian Cooking with Andreas Viestad" by Andres Viestad. Prep time includes infusion.
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons dill seeds
- 2 star anise
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 whole clove
- 1 cinnamon stick, 1-inch long (optional)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds (optional)
- 1 liter potato vodka
- Open the vodka bottle, add all the remaining ingredients, and cover tightly.
- Let stand in a cool, dark place for 2 to 3 weeks, shaking every 3 or 4 days – how long you let it sit depends on how strong you want it, so taste it after 2 weeks to see if you want to let it go longer.
- When it’s as strong as you’d like, strain the solids through a sieve and discard them, then transfer the aquavit back into the bottle.
- To serve: place your aquavit in the freezer until chilled and you can also place your 1 ounce tall glasses in the refrigerator until chilled – then serve (ask your Scandinavian friends about toasting practices with aquavit, as it can be rather complicated).
- Note: some people prefer non-potato vodka – use whatever you like.
As close as it gets to the real aquavit - I used a polish vodka and left out the star anise - I made this last year and felt the anise took over. I just made it today for this year's Christmas Eve Thanks and Glade Jul 30 Nov - this year's batch is excellent 25 Dec 08 Once again your Aquavit has graced our Christmas Eve table - This is left over from last year and it ages well
i had only rarely tasted this marvelous elixir...it is being served this year at my house with rave reviews! thank you
Thank you! In my Swedish tradition you toast a person entering your house with aquavit fresh from the freezer. I know I will not be able to get it in Mexico Tak!!! Thank you for this recipe for the water of life!!! T.J.