Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Taken from "Kitchen of Light". In Norway this pie is usually made with Jarlsberg or Gouda, but equally good made with Gruyere.
- In large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat; add onions, garlic, bay leaf, peppercorns and cloves.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until onions are soft, but not brown; about 20 minutes.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Line medium-size overproof dish with puff pastry (roll your pastry to fit the size of your dish) Set aside.
- Remove cloves, peppercorns and bay leaf from onions and discard.
- Place onions in dish, add cheese and 1 teaspoon of the thyme.
- Bake in 400F oven on lowest rack until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with remaining fresh thyme leaves.
I made onion pie pockets using refrigerator croissant rolls, placing a spoonful of onion mixture on one roll and top with cheese and thyme. Place another croissant roll on top of this and crimp down the edges.