Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Professional Division Winner, 2003, Build a Better Burger Contest. By Justin Ward, Atlanta, Georgia
Creole Honey Mustard
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons minced chives
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 2 lbs pork shoulder
- 6 ounces smoked bacon
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon ground smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄4 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 8 sourdough kaiser rolls, split
- 8 slices yellow onions (1/4-inch thick)
- olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the mustard: combine all the honey mustard ingredients in a small bowl and mix well; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Make the burgers: cut the pork and bacon into 1-inch cubes; mix with the garlic, mustard, paprika, liquid smoke, Tabasco, onion powder, oregano, and salt.
- Using a medium die, grind the mixture into a bowl, or finely chop in a food processor; set aside for 30-45 minutes.
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
- Cut the shrimp into ¼-inch pieces and fold into the pork mixture; add the eggs and bread crumbs.
- Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it, mix well.
- Divide mixture into 8 equal portions and form the portions into patties to fit the rolls.
- Make the grilled onions: brush the onion slices with olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When the grill is ready, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil; place the onion slices on a cooler part of the grill rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until very soft (10-15 minutes).
- Place the patties on the grill rack, cover, and cook, turning once, until done to preference, 4-5 minutes on each side for medium.
- During the last few minutes of cooking, place the rolls, cut side down on the outer edges of the grill rack to toast lightly.
- To assemble: on each roll bottom, place a patty, 1 tablespoon of the mustard, and a grilled onion slice; add the roll tops and serve.