Recipe by Denver cooks
Great with turkey, pork, chicken, anytime of year.
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
DD was requesting a sausage corn bread stuffing for Thanksgiving and as I'd never made this type came to Zaar on a search and found this one. So glad I did, it was really nice and everyone loved it. I didn't even know what andouille sausage was so just used a round of bulk then followed the directions exactly after that. Put half of it into the turkey we smoked which came out lovely, moist and with a mild smokey flavor (YUM!!) then the balance put in a casserole dish and baked as directed - very nice too though not quite as moist. I loved the idea of covering with tinfoil that was buttered. It was a success all around so thanks DC for posting.
- 29.58 ml butter
- 453.59 g andouille sausage, cut into 1/3-inch pieces
- 340.19 g packagebreakfast-style bulk sausage
- 709.77 ml chopped onions
- 473.18 ml chopped celery
- 473.18 ml chopped red bell peppers
- 236.59 ml chopped green onion
- 9.85 ml chopped fresh thyme
- 4.92 ml hot pepper sauce
- 4.92 ml dried rubbed sage
- 340.19 g dry corn bread stuffing mix
- 354.88 ml about canned low sodium chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add all sausages and cook until brown and cooked through, breaking up bulk sausage with back of fork, about 5 minutes.
- Add onions, celery and red bell peppers.
- Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes.
- Stir in green onions, thyme, hot pepper sauce and sage.
- Transfer sausage mixture to large bowl. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Stir stuffing mix into sausage mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Generously butter 13x9x2-inch glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Add enough broth to stuffing to moisten (about 3/4 cup to 1 1/2 cups.)
- Transfer stuffing to prepared dish.
- Cover with buttered foil, buttered side down.
- Bake until heated through, about 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake until top is crisp and golden, about 20 minutes longer.