This recipe is adapted from the July 06 Bon Appetit magazine - The recipe called for pickled Okra & watercress as garnishes - neither were available at this time so I left them out of the ingredient list. The burgers may be BBQ'd or pan fried - I give the instructions for pan frying. This is a delicious burger where each ingredient distinctively adds to the over all flavor - The pecans are a must. It goes into my favorite burger book
- 1⁄2 lb andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 3⁄4 cup roasted pecan, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 lbs onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or 1 tablespoon brown sugar substitute
- 8 ounces blue cheese
- 6 large hamburger buns, toasted inside
- Mix all the mayo ingredients together and refrigerate (you may do this the day before).
- Mix all the burger ingredients together and form into 6 half inch patties (This may be made in advance and refrigerated).
- Over medium heat sauté the onions in the oil with the garlic & brown sugar.
- Stir and continue cooking until golden Remove onions to a bowl.
- Heat skillet over hi heat add burgers and fry for 4 minutes or until browned on one side, flip burger, turn heat to medium low, cover with lid and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Flip and distribute the blue cheese evenly on top of the burgers, cover and continue to cook until cheese is melted.
- Place onions on bottom half of the bun, then the burger, if using Okra & watercress put that on next, top with the spicy mayo and bun top.
- Serve & enjoy.
I made this burger awhile ago after seeing the recipe in Bon Appetit. Like others, I didn't use okra or watercress, but who needed them? The caramelized onions provided more than enough flavor. Loved the texture and taste of the pecans and the smokiness added by the andouille. Thanks for posting the recipe here, Bergy.
I just made this burger for dinner tonight. I think this is one of the best burger recipe I've evert tried. This will be one of my favourite weeknight dinner menu. I used french bread instead of hamburger buns. The caramelized onions is a great combination, with the blue cheese. I agree that roasted pecans is a must. Thank you for sharing this recipe!