Prep 30 mins
Cook 56 mins
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) package Johnsonville Andouille Dinner Sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, divided
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced (reserve green portion for garnish)
- 1 celery, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped collard greens (center ribs removed)
- 1 cup fresh okra or 1 cup frozen okra, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon gumbo file'
- hot cooked rice
- hot pepper sauce
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle seasoning mixture evenly over chicken pieces.
- In a Dutch oven, heat ¼ cup olive oil over medium heat and sauté sausage slices on both side; remove sausage and repeat with chicken, browning evenly on all sides; remove and set aside.
- In the same Dutch oven, on medium heat, add remaining olive oil. Slowly add flour, stirring constantly for 12-15 minutes or until the roux is golden brown in color.
- Reduce heat to low; add onions and stir occasionally for 3 minutes.
- Add green onions, celery, garlic and green pepper. Continue to cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add red bell pepper and cook 3 minutes longer. Gradually stir in broth.
- Add bay leaf, thyme, reserved sausage and chicken and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add black-eyed peas, greens and okra and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add gumbo file’, cover and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve over hot rice.