Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Published in Bon Appetit, July 2006, this recipe is from James McNair's book Build a Better Burger.
Make and share this Andouille and Beef Burgers With Spicy Mayo and Caramelized Onion recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise (I use light)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Tony Chachere's Seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 lb andouille sausage, cut into 1/4 inch cubes (We make our own ground andouille, so I use that)
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, roasted, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chuck (20% fat) or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef (20% fat)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing rack
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon golden brown sugar
- 6 large hamburger buns, split
- 8 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 12 pickled okra pods, halved lengthwise
- 3 cups watercress, tops (I've never used)
- Mix all ingredients in small bowl. Cover & chill. Can be made 2 days ahead; keep chilled.
- Toss first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Add beef, blend gently. Shap into six 1/2 inch think patties. Transfer to small baking sheet. Can be made 1 day ahead; cover and chill.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat) or stove top. Place onions and next 3 ingredients in skillet. Place skillet on heat; cook until onions are golden, stirring often. Remove from grill and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush buns with olive oil or melted butter.Brown and transfer to work surface.
- Grill burgers until brown on bottom, about 3 minutes. Turn over; sprinkle with cheese, if desired. Grill until burgers are cooked through, about e minutes for medium.
- Place some onions on each but bottom, then burger. Top each with okra and watercress. Spread mayonnaise on side of bun tops; place on burgers. Serve with remaining mayonnaise.