Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My friends and family flip over this. We like it hot so I use a variety of jalepenos and habenero. Roasting the veggies gives this a nice smoky carmelized flavor.
- 8 roma tomatoes, halved
- olive oil
- 10 fresh red jalapeno chiles or 10 green jalapeno peppers (seeded for less heat)
- 1 whole onion, cut into wedges
- 1 head garlic, seperated into cloves
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Toss tomatoes, onions, peppers and garlic in olive oil.
- Place in a roasting pan 450 oven for 20- 30 minutes shaking pan frequently until veggies are charred and carmelized.
- let cool.
- Squeeze garlic from cloves into food processor.
- and add the rest of veggies and remaining ingredients.
- Pulse to desired consistency.
- Let sit at least 1 hour~.
- serve with tortilla chips for dipping.
- Refrigerate up to 1 week.
- Tastes better the next day!
This is awsome! We made this for our appetizer party and the crowd went wild! Since we were serving a lot of people, I decided to cut back on the jalapenos and used just about a tablespoon. The flavor of the roasted veggies is right on. Thanks so much for sharing this "keeper", Cookiegirlandi.