1/4 Photos of Andes Style Papas Rellenas
Papas rellenas translates to stuffed potatoes. It is a peruvian dish (also made in Colombia) consisting of mashed potatoes stuffed with seasoned ground meat and deep fried. It is usually accompanied with a Sarza Criolla, or an aji sauce. Cuban and Puerto Rican versions consist of potato balls stuffed with seasoned picadillo. I usually use half potatoes and half yuca, or whatever I have left over from a previous meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 lbs potatoes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 fresh egg
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped (optional)
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 6 stuffed green olives, cut in 4
- 1/2 cup tomato, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, minced
- 1/4 cup golden raisin (optional)
- 1Boil potatoes in a large pot of salted water until soft, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly and remove peel. Mash and let come to near room temperature. Add one egg and knead until smooth and soft, it should be like a dough that you can handle without sticking to your hands.
- 2Heat 2 or 3 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook onions and garlic until they begin to carmelize and are golden, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add ground beef and tomatoes and cook 5 minutes, while breaking up with a wooden spoon. Add parsley, cilantro, olives, and hard boiled eggs and raisins, if using. Season with salt, pepper and paprika keeping in mind that the olives will also be salty.
- 3Take a handful of the potato mixture (about 3/4 cup) and flatten in your hand. Place about 2 tablespoons of the meat filling in the center. Carefully fold over and pinch closed while forming an oval shape. Coat with flour and set aside. Repeat until you have used all the mixtures. Refrigerate about 20 minutes to rest.
- 4Heat remaining oil in the skillet (or use a deep fryer) and fry rellena on all sides until golden brown. Drain on paper toweling. Serve hot with Aji or Sarza Criolla.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Andes Style Papas Rellenas
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 332.9
- Calories from Fat 176
- Total Fat 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 61.8 mg
- Sodium 56.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 14.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
stuffed green olives