Recipe by threeovens
Papas rellenas translates to stuffed potatoes. It is a peruvian dish (also made in Colombia) consisting of mashed potatoes stuffed with seasoned ground meat and deep fried. It is usually accompanied with a Sarza Criolla, or an aji sauce. Cuban and Puerto Rican versions consist of potato balls stuffed with seasoned picadillo. I usually use half potatoes and half yuca, or whatever I have left over from a previous meal.
Top Review by Jamilahs_Kitchen
These were a hit and much easier than the NAME version where you stuff the meat in the hard potatoes. I stuffed a few with cheese also. I thought they were really easy to make and lightly pan fried them in a little peanut oil then finished them off in the oven for a few while I cooked the rest of my dishes. Thank You made for ZWT 7 for Saucy Silverados.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs potatoes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 fresh egg
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped (optional)
- 6 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 6 stuffed green olives, cut in 4
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, minced
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes in a large pot of salted water until soft, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly and remove peel. Mash and let come to near room temperature. Add one egg and knead until smooth and soft, it should be like a dough that you can handle without sticking to your hands.
- Heat 2 or 3 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook onions and garlic until they begin to carmelize and are golden, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add ground beef and tomatoes and cook 5 minutes, while breaking up with a wooden spoon. Add parsley, cilantro, olives, and hard boiled eggs and raisins, if using. Season with salt, pepper and paprika keeping in mind that the olives will also be salty.
- Take a handful of the potato mixture (about 3/4 cup) and flatten in your hand. Place about 2 tablespoons of the meat filling in the center. Carefully fold over and pinch closed while forming an oval shape. Coat with flour and set aside. Repeat until you have used all the mixtures. Refrigerate about 20 minutes to rest.
- Heat remaining oil in the skillet (or use a deep fryer) and fry rellena on all sides until golden brown. Drain on paper toweling. Serve hot with Aji or Sarza Criolla.