Recipe by D. Todd Miller
These are a bit unusual but delicious! This recipe is from a local periodical.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder (I recommend Callebaut brand)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 12 andes creme de menthe thin candies, cut in half diagonally
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Combine butter, 1 cup of granulated sugar, brown sugar, and pinch salt in a bowl and beat with hand mixer until creamy.
- Add egg, vanilla, and peppermint extract and continue beating until well mixed.
- Add the sifted ingredients from step 1 to the mixture and thoroughly combine.
- Once everything is incorporated, shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll them in the remaining 1/2 cup of granulated sugar.
- Place sugared dough balls on a baking sheet and bake for 10-13 minutes.
- As soon as the cookies are removed from the oven, press one half of an Andes creme de menthe candy onto each cookie.
- Allow cookies to cool before serving.