1/1 Photo of Andalusian Potato Salad
You'd be crazy to go to an Andalusian tapas bar and not order papas alinas (marinated potatoes). These are shallow bowls of diced yellow potatoes tossed with sweet white onions, green peppers, and sometimes tomato and tuna, then generously bathed with a good olive oil and sherry vinegar. The secret is the texture; the potatoes are slightly mashed rather than diced so they absorb the dressing better. Another secret is to use the best possible olive oil and be generous with it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium yukon gold potatoes (1 1/2 to 1 3/4 pounds total)
- 1 small sweet white onion, finely diced
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely diced
- 4 tablespoons scallions, minced
- 1/2 cup fragrant extra virgin olive oil
- 6 -7 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar (preferably aged)
- kosher salt
- minced fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- 1Place the potatoes in a medium-size saucepan, add enough cold water to cover them by 2 inches, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the potatoes, partially covered, until they are completely tender when pricked with a skewer, 30 to 35 minutes. Drain the potatoes. When just cool enough to handle, peel the potatoes and cut them into a very fine dice.
- 2Place the diced potatoes and the onion, Italian pepper, tomato, scallion, 1/3 cup of the olive oil, and 6 tablespoons of the vinegar in a bowl and stir to mix. Season with salt to taste. Toss everything together, crushing the potatoes slightly, so that they are half mashed. Let the salad stand for about 2 hours to absorb the dressing. Taste and add more vinegar as necessary.
- 3To serve, spread the potato salad on a serving plate, sprinkle with parsley on top, then drizzle the remaining oil over it.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Andalusian Potato Salad
Serving Size: 1 (122 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 176.6
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 1.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sherry wine vinegar