2 hrs 45 mins
Soup Queen's Note:
Delicious, great party soup and a good way to use leftovers. This makes a huge batch. I use chicken stock from concentrate (Minor's or Better Than Bouillon) which have a good flavor and take up less cupboard space than cans or cartons of ready-to-use stock. From Sunset Magazine, 1976.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 cups thinly sliced onions
- 18 tablespoons flour
- 12 cups tomato puree (#10 can)
- 8 quarts chicken stock
- 1/2 cup minced garlic
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons crushed cumin seeds (I use mortar & pestle)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon tarragon
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- cooked pasta (raviolis or tortellinis are excellent)
- garbanzo beans
- chopped parsley (*) or cilantro (*)
- chopped onion
- tofu, cubes
- bay shrimp
- any kind of leftover meat, chopped
- sour cream (*)
- lime wedge (*)
- sliced olive
- diced bell pepper
- chopped tomato
- sliced sauteed mushroom
- shredded cheese, especially cheddar or parmesan cheese
- 1Melt butter in a large stock pot (at least 16-quart capacity).
- 2Add oil and onions.
- 3Cook onions slowly, stirring occasionally until limp and slightly golden (about 1 hour).
- 4Sprinkle flour over onions and blend well.
- 5Gradually stir in tomato puree and stock (or water and soup base, see notes).
- 6Add remaining ingredients and stir until well blended.
- 7Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 8Be sure to serve soup really hot as the condiments will cool it down.
- 9Fill bowls with desired condiments, then ladle soup on top.
- 10*In my opinion, lime, cilantro and sour cream are must-haves!
- 11I make the soup concentrated so it will take up less room in my freezer (essential since the last time I made it it would have been over 10 gallons of ready-to-eat!) To do this, follow the recipe through step 6, using only one quart of stock. I use the Minor's concentrate, and add the full amount necessary for the entire pot of soup.
- 12I freeze mine in 4- to 6-cup containers, because you will add the same amount of water, and with this soup, depending on what you are serving with it, some people may be eating less than a cup of it.
- 13When you are going to be serving the soup, put equal parts of concentrate and water in a pot and finish as directed in step 7.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Andalusian Condiment Soup
Serving Size: 1 (330 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 162.6
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 9.8 mg
- Sodium 566.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 6.4 g