Recipe by Annacia
Don't be put off by the metric measures, just use the Zaar converter. Soaking the beans is not included in the timing.
Top Review by Charlotte J
This is easy to make. You do need to keep checking the water level, so the the beans do not boil dry and burn. I enjoyed the hint of sweetness from the honey. You'll be surprised how much flavor this soup has. So don't forget that bay leaf as it really adds to this soup. Made for team Soup-A-Stars during ZWT9 2013
- 2 cups white beans
- 1⁄2 liter water
- 200 g lard
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 liter beef broth
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 bunch parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the beans in water over night.
- Then boil them with a bay leaf, in water just to cover for 5 minutes.
- Take the pot off the heat and cover for 1 hour.
- Pour the beans and bay leaf into the beef broth and slowly boil for 2 hours. Saute the onion in the lard and then add the parsley, the coriander, the salt and pepper.
- Add this to the beans.
- Add the honey and allow to boil slowly for a few more minutes.
- Before serving, add the garlic cloves that have been passed through a garlic press and mixed with the oil.