Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Hot chocolate, Aztec-style. Something different for the adventurous palate.
- 5 cups half-and-half
- 1 vanilla bean, cut in half lengthwise
- 8 ounces mexican chocolate, chopped (Abuelita)
- 1⁄2 cup natural cocoa powder
- 1 -2 tablespoon pure dried ancho chile powder (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons honey (to taste)
- whipped cream, for garnish
- 1 -2 tablespoon slivered unsalted roasted almonds, for garnish
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine half-and-half and vanilla bean; heat until mixture comes to a simmer.
- Decrease heat to low; add in chocolate and cocoa powder; whisk to combine.
- Simmer 5-10 minutes, or until mixture coats the back of a spoon (watch closely so that is does no boil over).
- Add in the chile powder, a little at a time, to taste; stir in the honey and blend; discard the vanilla bean.
- Pour hot chocolate into 8 small cups; top with the whipped cream and slivered almonds.