Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I first got this recipe from a "Food Day" that we had in junior high Spanish class. Someone brought this dish, and the mushrooms disappeared. No one could believe they had anchovies - a food that has such negative connotations!
- 1⁄2 cup bread, crusts removed and crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 lb button mushroom, medium size
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and finely chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Oil a large baking sheet.
- Soak bread in milk in a small bowl.
- Remove mushroom stems and chop finely.
- Put stems into a bowl with the bacon, anchovies, garlic, egg, salt and pepper.
- Squeeze soaked bread to remove excess milk; add to bacon mixture and mix well.
- Divide bread mixture among mushrooms, piling mixture into small mounds.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake 20-30 minutes, until top of stuffing is crisp.
I think you forgot to list the anchovies as an ingredient...